Thursday 26 March 2015

Stamping Master Class Week - Dawn Heald



Hello everyone,

Another week already, time is flying and isn't lovely that
it isn't getting dark as early.....but that will change Sunday 
when we put the clocks forward!
Do all our bloggers not in Britain have to change their clocks too??

So, this week we are looking at Stamping.  The first thing I
ever learnt and at The Craft Barn too.  A lovely lady showed
me how to stamp and then heat emboss.....must have been
nearly 20 years ago and it is probably still one of my favourite 
areas of crafting.  We have come a long way from there,
thank goodness. 

Dawn is here today to show us what she has been up to.

"For our topic this week I decided to go back to using just basic
 supplies. Card blanks, stamps and ink. Simple. I thought it would
 be good for those starting out on their stamping journey and as
 a reminder for those of us further along.


My first project uses solid stamp shapes, you can use lined
 shapes too.



I chose some Distress Inks, as they are dye inks, dry quickly and are transparent. 


Begin by stamping your image with one colour, clean stamp, ink
 it up again with a different colour and hover over the first stamped
 image and rotate it slightly and stamp. Continue like this using 
your chosen colours. Do the same for the stem and around the
 edges of card blank. Add a stamped sentiment towards the 
bottom and embellish with buttons and a few gems. Can you 
spot where the washi tape I've used?  
That's it really. I experimented with different orders of colours as
 shown in pictures.



Next up, similar to the first project is shadow stamping. I've done
 two different style of cards using the same technique. 

     
Using this technique, the first card I've made is a scene style card
 using Lavinia Stamps and some scrap paper masks for hills. I 
used an ink duster brush to sweep my ink ( Distress Inks - Dusty
 Concord, Black Soot) on the card before adding stamped
 images. (Dusty Concord, Versafine Onyx black) 
 It didn't work out too well but I know next time to leave 
just a small amount of colour showing for this style of card. 
I added a few clear gems around the border.


(Jane says - I think it looks lovely!)




           Here I have stamped my image in colour then wiped stamp and
          inked up again with black ink. This time hover over the first image
           lining it up the same, then slightly move your stamp up (or down) 


                  and to the side a little and stamp. You can have a lot of
                                     colour showing or just a little.




         The second card is a simple, bright card using PaperArtsy Lin Brown
             stamps and Lavinia Butterflies stamps. Stamping as described
              above. I've stamped a sentiment in bottom corner. Then as a
             background, I added some dots of colour from Distress markers.



               Tip: If your black image isn't dark enough for you, use Black
                          Soot Distress marker to colour over the top.



For this card, it's another simple technique that you can alter and use
 different variations of inks and stamps.
This technique has a posh name (well I think so) it's called Retiform.

 The idea is you split your card into sections ( any shape and size) 
using ink and a mask to mark out sections, (copy paper or post
 it notes work well) then you stamp an image into each section.
For this card, I started with an A6 card blank and lightly covered 
it all with Scattered Straw Distress Ink and the edges with Gathered 
Twigs. Then I used a post it note, placed onto card and inked along
 the edge with Gathered Twigs Distress ink. Next I replaced the
 edge mask elsewhere on the card and inked along edge again. I
 repeated this til I had enough sections.



Use your masks again to mark out each section and stamp into it with
 your chosen image and Gathered Twigs ink.


That's all from me this week, I do hope you'll have a try of some 
of the techniques and ideas from all the team".


Another brilliant tutorial from Dawn, thank you!

Hope you are all feeling inspired to get those stamps and 
inks out!

Here is the list of what Dawn used -



So that is our first day of Stamping,don't forget to let us
 know what you think.


See you tomorrow,


Jane x





7 comments:

  1. Lovely to be reminded of these fabulous techniques. Beautiful work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Love the last card. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous to see some technique had forgotten about & some I haven't tried, like the last which is so cool! Lavinia is also one of my favourite ranges & I NEED more! Lol. Tfs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. great techniques, definitely going to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this "back to basics" theme. My main crafting love is stamping and sometimes we can get lost with all the new and fun stuff and hide the beautiful images of our stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's really a great post that perfectly illustrates several great stamping techniques, and the samples are all gorgeous, thank you Dawn!! Coco x

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.